Tuesday, December 10, 2013

December 9 Letter

What a week! I survived my first transfer! And with that transfer came a new kasama! (that means companion...) My new kasama is Sister Mailo.  She's from Samoa and she's been out here for about 10 months.  Usually you stay with your trainer for two transfers but my trainer Sister Lazan got transferred to be a Sister Training Leader.  And also President Martino tries to avoid putting foreigners together, but we have been getting so many new foriegners..plus the Lord is the one who really assigns the companionships so ta da! Two foreigners. So getting a new trainer who was new to this area means that I've been in charge of our area.  I have to lead the area which is awesome..ly hard. But it has helped me see just how much I've grown in the last 6 weeks. Neither of us know Tagalog very well (the language has been especially hard for Sister Mailo) and so everyday is a real adventure and we are learning to rely on the Spirit.  It's awesome.

But before S. Lazan was transferred we had a little friend in our house.  It was a mouse.  We've had mice in the house before but we were able to successfully get them out using a broom technique that I'm sure was handed down from the Incas.  Joke lang. But the night before transfers our technique of me opening the door and trying not to scream and S. Lazan using her broom to get the mouse out the door didn't go too well.. at least for the mouse.  Because the silly mouse decided to come  back in the house when I was closing the door... And then I accidentally sent that little mouse to mouse heaven. Let's just say, S. Lazan had to take it from there.

Things are good here.  There is still a ton of work to do, but it's good.  Although none of our investigators came to church this week..again..two families. including the priesthood holders, came to church for the first time since I've been in that area!! It was so awesome!! It warmed my heart to see them walk in and I'm sure I had a big cheesy grin on my face, but I couldn't help it. I was soooo happy! 

The ward likes my new kasama too.  Especially bishop.  When he met her and found out she was from Samoa he said, "But.. you're so... SEXY!!" Not joking.  He really said that.  You should have seen our faces. It was hilarious.  And the only way we were able to excuse that totally inappropriate comment from a bishop is because here, in the Philippines, if you are skinny you are "sexy".  It may or may not be a direct translation.  The word here for skinny is basically sexy.  But they don't just think that skinny are people are beautiful... Don't worry I don't get it either. 

But that's my week.  Time is flying and I don't know how I feel about that yet.  Only 66 more of these emails before I'll be back in the USA.  I've got a lot of work to do!! And if there's anything that I've really learned on my mish it's that the work never stops.  Even when I get home I know that I still have a responsibility to share the gospel.  I love it!! I'm so blessed and privileged to be here and to have you as my family (and friends) Mahal ko kayo!!! 
Sister Larson 

No comments:

Post a Comment