Tuesday, December 31, 2013

December 30 Letter-"I Love Being a Missionary"

This has been the most wonderful week! I love being a missionary! It's like Christmas everyday.  Because I'm sharing the message of Christ with everyone!! :) well you know, almost everyone.

Although our dinner appointment with the Mateo family fell through on Christmas, the Bishop's wife invited us over the day after Christmas.  We had bar-b-que (which means meat on skewers) rice,of course, some kind of fish stuffed with vegetables, fried chicken, and then homemade macaroons, homemade ube spread (made with fresh caribou milk) and buko salad (like jello with fresh coconut). It was a feast! Just a little different from the usual Christmas feasts... :)  

 We were able to see some little miracles in our area this December.  And I know that if we do our best to be obedient and do all we can everyday we will continue to have our eyes opened to the many little miracles that happen every single day.  One of these little miracles happened when we were following up on an OYM (Open Your Mouth: we just try to talk to as many people as we can and sometimes we can schedule a time to follow up and teach them for real) on a street that we pass by almost every single day,  We stopped and asked this lady if she knew the person we were trying to find. She didn't, but she agreed to listen to our message.  Apparently she had seen us multiple times and even asked about Sister Lazan(my 1st kasama).  But we had never had the opportunity to teach her.  As we began teaching about the Restoration it was hard to concentrate because of the rowdy kids outside.  But we continued to teach, and I continued to pray silently that this sister could feel the Spirit. As we got to the part in the lesson that we would usually share the First Vision in Joseph's own words, I just couldn't bring myself to share it word for word because I knew that the Spirit really needed to be able to testify to her and those rowdy kids were so distracting!  We kept going with the lesson and finally towards the end when we asked if she had any questions.  She asked us to clarify about Joseph Smith. I knew that she needed to hear Joseph's experience in his own words.  As  I began to recite Joseph's experience I noticed that it was quiet.  The kids had left.  As I looked into this woman's eyes and testified that Joseph Smith really did see God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ I really felt the Spirit. My chest was warm and tight as I looked into her eyes and testified that what we were saying was true. I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ was restored through a simple answer to prayer and I know that our Heavenly Father listens to each of our prayers.  And apparently, this sister had listened to some elders during the time of Prophet  Spencer W. Kimball because she remembered the name "Spencer W. Kimball!" I don't know if now is the time for us to harvest the seeds that were planted years and years ago, but I do know that God heard my silent prayers and provided the perfect environment for His children to feel the Holy Spirit witness the truthfulness of the Restored Gospel.  

Also I forgot to tell you about how much Filipinos love fireworks! They like really really love them. And so for Christmas everyone was lighting off fireworks and having bar-b-ques. So basically it was the 4th of July. And I hear that New Years is even crazier. That's why our curfew for New Years Eve is 6pm...

It was sooooo good to see ALL of the family on Skype! I have the cutest niece in the entire world. Let it be written, let it be known. And I love my family!!!!! Thanks for the love and support! I'm so glad that your Christmas was a happy one! Now let's continue to live 2014 with Christ as the center of all we do. There are so many people that need the gospel of Jesus Christ in their lives.  How selfish not to share what we know! So don't be selfish, mag-bahagi ang ebanghelyo! 

Mahal ko kayo!!! -Sister Larson 

No comments:

Post a Comment