Friday, October 18, 2013

October 18 Letter

Well we'll have to see about the 2013 edition of the scriptures because I don't know if they have them here yet.  But I bought a triple combination in Tagalog today for 20 pesos.  That's like less than $0.50 I think.  We only heard about the earthquake in Cebu we didn't feel anything.  But one of our teachers served in Cebu and he said that some Roman Catholic churches just collapsed like there's nothing left.  And the only thing that happened to the temple in Cebu was Angel Moroni doing an about face.  Literally 180 degrees turned around.  Maybe they had him facing the wrong way before? joke-lang.  Rebekah and I seemed to have had a similar experiences this week. (Rebekah had a special experience while she was doing confirmations in the Temple last week) I was just a little frustrated and getting anxious to leave the MTC.  We had a proselyting activity where we get to go out to one of the missions near by and go on spilts with the in-field missionaries.  I think I told you about our last experience.  But our teacher originally told us that we would be going to the Quezon City Mission, which I knew was Elder Gillette's mission.  I had prayed to Heavenly Father asking that maybe if it wasn't a big deal that maybe I could just go to Elder Gillette's zone so that I could see a familiar face.  I just felt like seeing a friend from home would really lift my spirits.  Then the day of our teacher told us that we would actually be going to the Quezon City North Mission instead.  I was a little disappointed because I knew there was probably no way that I would get to see Elder Gillette before he went home.  Then I walked into the cafeteria and guess who was standing in line for lunch?? Elder Gillette! It was such a tender mercy.  We only got to talk for a little while but it was just nice to be able to talk about home with someone who knew what I was talking about. Apparently he had to come to the MTC because that's where they checkup the exiting missionaries.  I know that God heard my prayer and that I would have been just fine if I hadn't gotten to see Elder Gillette but I think more than talking to an old friend, I needed to know that Someone was listening to my prayers and that He was aware of me and loves me.  The gospel is true!! Sometimes I wish it was as easy as just saying it.  The main reason that I get frustrated (which I'm working on my Christ-like attribute of patience right now..I know, I know) is because there are so many missionaries here that just don't seem to get it yet.  I know that they know that this is the true Church but they sometimes forget to live like they believe. but we're all progressing. Just at different levels. When we went proselyting Sister Laulu (kasama) and I were waiting for our in-field missionary to come around the corner and while we were waiting we started talking to a lady named Gina who owned a little store.  She was packaging little chunks of onion for the people who couldn't afford the whole 5 peso onion.  And we were able to talk to her a little bit in Taglish about the Church and give her a pamphlet.  Our in-field kasama made a follow up appointment with her for the next day.  It felt so good to help those sisters in that area find a new investigator. Especially after we had just learned that the average for the Philippines is 3.5 new investigators per companionship per week.  That is not good.  I know that sharing the gospel may be intimidating, especially when it's sharing it with your friends or associates, but I also know that sometimes it really is as simple as just opening your mouth.  So do it! Open you mouth and the Lord will help you know what to say.  You get to say it in English!  Lucky ducks! I can't wait to hear some missionary stories from that side of the world! Love you!!! Sister Larson


No comments:

Post a Comment