Tuesday, November 12, 2013

November 11 letter. She's safe:)

I'm ALIVE!!! I'm sorry you had to worry about me, but I promise I'm okay.  The "super typhoon" or Baguio Yolanda, as we call her, didn't really reach us in Central Luzon.  There was a lot of wind and a lot of rain on Saturday and so Sis Lazan and I had to go back to our apartment a little early, but that's about it.  However, I know that there are many, many people who were not so lucky.  It was a Signal 4 storm, which is the highest level of storm that they have here.  I don't know very many of the details, sorry.

 Um but I don't really know where to start.  I still haven't learned how to walk in the rain without getting all muddy, and my kasama is always perplexed as to how my feet get so dirty.  Well. Walking is hard okay. I still don't really understand what goes on most of the time, but I've gotten really good at reading other people's facial expressions so I know when to smile and when to look concerned and so on.  We've had some really special experiences with this ward already. It amazes me every time how quickly people let us into their homes, their lives, and their hearts.  I definitely have found a very special place in my heart for them.  

One family here has been less active for a while because they were offended.  I didn't really understand the whole story behind it.  Still don't, even though my kasama has tried to explain it many times.  She's really patient with me.  Anyways the part that I did understand was when the daughter spoke up about her dream to serve a mission.  She had seen the sister missionaries in the other wards in the stake and wanted to have sister missionaries that she could work with here in Ward 1.  Well she prayed and asked Heavenly Father to send some sister missionaries to Ward 1 and she would come back to church if there were sister missionaries here.  Well.  Ta-da!! Here we are! and guess who came to church on Sunday! It was a very cool experience.  I know that there are many reasons that Sister Lazan and I needed to come to Ward 1, but this young girl is one of the reasons.  

It's hard to not get frustrated when I can't understand what's going on, especially when I ask our investigators a question but then can't understand their answer.  But I have found that it's okay because the Spirit speaks to everyone in a way that they can understand. My kasama and I ran out of propane for our little stove the other night and so we had to be creative.  Turns out you can cook just about anything with a rice cooker! Who knew?! We eat kind of weird things.  Like ramen noodles on bread.  And mystery meats out of a can.  But I think that Reo can rest at ease.  I have really been able to overcome my pickiness.  I didn't use to like tuna, but we eat it at least 2 or 3 times a week.  I'll eat anything.  Well, almost anything.  We do have guidelines for what not to eat.  Like avoid street food. Bummer, really because some of this street food looks masarap! (delicious) 

We walk a lot.  And when we don't walk we ride a tricycle.  It's like a motorcycle with a little sidecar attached.  They call Cabanatuan the tricycle capital of the Philippines.  We may or may not have fit 8 sister missionaries in one trike.  Don't ask me how.  It's more fun in the Philippines! 

Tell the Volleyball girls that I am so proud of them!!! That's awesome!! (The St. David Tigers Volleyball team won State this year!!!)

Oh and I've decided that I'm not going to miss out on Christmas this year because Christmas doesn't exist in the Philippines.  There's just this holiday that they celebrate for about 4 months and they call it Pasko. It's different than Christmas.  The weather doesn't get colder here and there's not any real pine trees so... (Pasko=Christmas, if you didn't catch my sarcasm) There is a store here in the mall called National Book Store and it is beautiful.  It reminds me of the store in the movie Elf and I have to stop myself from screaming "SANTA!!!!! Santa's coming!!!!"  every time we go in.  It's glorious.  

I'm so happy to hear about the happy times at home! Keep it coming! I recently re-read Elder Christofferson's talk about the honey bees and how each honey bee only contributes about 1/12 of a teaspoon of honey.  But each bee's contribution is vital.  I've been thinking about what my contribution is.  What will be my gift for my Savior this Christmas season? I think it's a good question for all of us to think about. 

Well this week I'll hit my two month mark! Pretty crazy to think that there's only 16 more months of my mission left. Gotta make it count! 

I love you!! Mahal Kita!! -Sister Larson 

No comments:

Post a Comment